Shorts Trips and One Day Excursions
We have a variety of short trips and one day trips. These are available depending on the season. We gladly supply you with more information.
Kalpitiya - On the trail of the dolphins
Wilpattu National Park
Combine a boat trip over the lagoon with a visit of the Wilpattu National Park
Wildlife in the Wilpattu National Park
There are approximately 30 species of mammals in the Wilpattu National Park which include the Sri Lankan Elephant, Sri Lankan Leopard, Sri Lankan Sloth Bear, Spotted Deer, Buffalo, Sambar and Mongoose.
Birdlife in the Wilpattu National Park
Wetland bird species found in the Wilpattu National Park include the Garganey, Pin tail, Whistling Teal, Spoonbill, White Ibis, Large White Egret, Cattle Egret and Purple Heron. Also, many species of Gulls, Terns, Owls, Kites and Eagles also live here. The endemic Sri Lanka Jungle fowl, Little Cormorant and the Painted Stork can also be seen.
Wilpattu National Park is home for two very special animals, The Sri Lankan Sloth Bear is an omnivorous species that depends heavily on the forest for survival. Steady decline of forests in the island has impacted this animal, resulting in the species being noted as threatened. It is estimated that as little as 1000 Sri Lankan Sloth Bears are alive today. The Wilpattu National Park may offer you a unique opportunity to see this animal when you are on Safari in Wilpattu National Park.
The other animal of note in Wilpattu is the Sri Lankan Leopard for which everyone is on the lookout. The Sri Lankan Leopard is a subspecies of the Indian Leopard and is currently the largest in Asia. Leopards can be spotted near villus (Lakes) inside the park, providing excellent filming and photographic opportunities.
In and around Kalpitiya
There are a lot of things worth seeing in and around Kalpitiya.
Let us show you around!
Kalpitiya is located in Puttalam district, North Western province of Sri Lanka. It is known for its serene beauty. It consists of 14 islands. It has a total area of 16.73 km2. The people of Kalpitiya are mostly fishermen. It is now developing as an attractive tourist destination.
Rich in natural beauty, Kalpitiya's history is no less interesting. Records going far back reveal that the peninsula was associated with maritime trade and smuggling escapades since ancient times. It was first colonised by the Portuguese in early 17th Century. The arrival of the Dutch eventually resulted in the ousting of the Portuguese from here and elsewhere in the island. Historical records show that during the Dutch period of the island's colonial history, the northern end of the peninsula was used as a strategic base for a military garrison and naval outpost to monopolise trade supplies to the mainland. A well preserved Dutch-era fort (incorporating an earlier Portuguese-era church) occupied by the Sri Lanka Navy, and a Dutch church remain today. Nearby at Talawila to the south, a vibrant annual festival keeps alive its Portuguese heritage, at the ancient St Anne's church festival, when thousands of Catholic devotees descend upon the tiny village to celebrate St Anne's Day on July 26.
It is now developing as an attractive tourist destination. It is a marine sanctuary with a diversity of habitats ranging from bar reefs, flat coastal plains, saltpans, mangroves swamps, salt marshes and vast sand dune beaches. It provides nursing grounds for many species of fish and crustaceans. The coastal waters are also home to spinner, bottlenose and Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins, whales, sea turtles, and even the elusive dugong that are of great appeal to potential tourists. The Sri Lankan government has now formulated a master plan for the development of tourism industry here.
The Dutch Reformed Church (also known as St Peter's Kerk) is located between the Dutch fort and the village of Kalpitiya. The church was built by the Dutch in 1706 and is a smaller version of the church in the Matara fort. It is one of the oldest Protestant churches in the country.
In Dutch times, Kalpitya was a small port located at the northern extremity of the original Dutch area prior to peace treaty with the Kandyan Kingdom of 1765 when the King ceded the entire coast area up to two miles inland to the Dutch. The port was strategically important for the VOC enabling it to control a considerable part of the external trade of the Kandyan Kingdom which was mainly conducted through the large Muslim (Moors and Chetties) trading community settled in the area.
The VOC maintained a fort in Kalpitya (in Dutch times called Calpentyn) and built a church which had the same character as the Matara church (old meeting house type). When most VOC servants with their Dutch Predikants left the island in the beginning of 1800, church services, until then conducted in Dutch, Singhalese and Tamil, were discontinued. In the middle of the 19th century the church was used by Anglican missionaries. The façade was (unfortunately) rebuilt in English style, which gave it a strange appearance. Original Dutch tombstones in excellent condition still can be found on the floor of the church. Plans are being developed to restore the original façade in Dutch style and convert the church into a community centre.
The Church was long time under management of the Archaeological Service of Sri Lanka. In December 2010 the Church was formally returned to the ownership of the Dutch/Christian Reformed Church. Renovation of the building will be part of the religious and cultural development of the city of Kalpitya.
Carla’s Heritage Health Center © 2015 - Carla’s Heritage (Pvt) Ltd., registered in Sti Lanka on July 22nd 2015, no. of company PV 107226